What is the course about?
The course aims to provide further knowledge and understanding of the Portuguese language. It also gives an insight into Portuguese-speaking countries' culture and ways of life.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will continue developing all four skills, with emphasis on speaking and listening. A talk on a topic of the
students' choice to be given at the end of the term will help to build up confidence and explore the language.
Homework will be given for a complete integration of all skills.
Topics will include:
-work & training
-hobbies & leisure
Grammar: direct and indirect object pronouns, consolidation of simple tenses in the subjunctive, present and future
subjunctive with repetition of the verb (seja quem for, venha quem vier, etc), expressions used to contrast and
compare opinions and statements (orações proporcionais).
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- discuss transport, future means of transport
- discuss scientific advances, changes and innovation
- discuss work and training
- talk about hobbies and leisure
Other objectives will be negotiated at the start of the course.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should be able to express yourself in Portuguese fairly accurately, specially the use of present, future and the various forms of past tense, and have studied Portuguese for at least four years.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Based on the tutor’s own materials.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please ask the tutor or contact Languages on 020 7492 2644.