What is the course about?
Extend the range of your reading, writing and speaking abilities. This course can help you to prepare for the English GCSE course.
What will we cover?
- vocabulary: writing for a particular purpose and audience using appropriate register
- reading skills: comprehension of surface meaning and underlying implications
- speaking and listening skills: giving and understanding information, group discussion, developing vocabulary, oral presentations.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- read and discuss a variety of texts with confidence and understanding
- express yourself clearly orally and in writing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Before you can enrol you will need to complete an initial assessment with City Lit - please contact us to make an appointment: e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; phione: 020 7492 2511.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Classes will consist of skills input from the course tutor, discussion of reading materials, debates, writing exercises, student presentations and small group work. The teaching will be activity-based.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to buy copies of the set text although there should also be copies available in the library. A substantial amount of course material will be available in photocopied handouts but you will need to supply of A4 paper, pens, a folder for assignments and any other appropriate stationery.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
If you complete this course successful you may be ready to move on to the GCSE English course in September. We will arrange for you to do a GCSE initial assessment to check this and an interview with the tutor to discuss the course and the commitment involved.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details