What is the course about?
In this online practical course you will build your on screen confidence and learn the skills needed to present to camera in a vlogging style. You will work with a BBC trained TV director with over 25 years of experience directing mainstream programmes for BBC and ITV and who has extensive experience training people to present to camera in a wide variety of genres, including
those who have set up their own YouTube channels. You will be given unedited files of your work.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Overcoming nerves, presenting to camera, writing and memorising short scripts, interviewing.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Present confidently to camera.
• Conduct an interview/be interviewed.
• Record yourself presenting to camera at home.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a fast-paced course beginners/general standard. Some experience or knowledge of presenting/performance//TV Production would be helpful but is not essential.
In order to get the most from the course you will be able to:
• Speak English fluently and clearly
• Understand instructions and be able to work to a brief
• Take direction, be adaptive, take notes
• Receive constructive feedback.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Your tutor will teach though a variety of techniques during this online course. Practical exercises will be recorded on camera and played back with individual feedback. There may be some weekly prep such as viewing and preparing scripts. 'So You Want to be a TV Presenter' published by Nick Hern Books, and 'The TV Presenter’s Career Handbook' published by Focal Press will be very useful, both written by the tutor.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
None. Bring notepad and pen.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
DMP060 Presenting to camera for TV shopping channels
DMP064 TV Presenting: introduction
DMP068 Presenting to camera: children’s TV
DMP063 TV presenting: auditioning.