What is the course about?
This course is aimed at teaching you what you need to know in order to build up an audience for your music, using the many online tools available.
Tutor: Owen Duff [external website].
What will we cover?
- Getting your music to the places where an audience can find it - iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, Youtube, Soundcloud and more
- The importance of having your own website, and services to help you create one
- Putting together a press kit, including photographs and press releases
- Creating and managing a presence on social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Pinterest
- Identifying your audience and coming up with an interesting way to describe your music
- Building up a contact list for all online radio stations, blogs, podcasts and websites relevant to your music
- The importance of video to online promotion
- How to keep organised when promoting your music.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Get your music onto major online music stores and websites
- Demonstrate an awareness of how to create your website
- Put together a press kit
- Create and manage the presence of your music on major social networks
- Begin working on a way of describing your music which will catch people's attention
- Start building a contact list of relevant online radio stations, blogs, podcasts and websites
- Show an understanding of the importance of video to promoting music online
- Keep the promotion of your music organised.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Students must have recordings which are ready to be released online, and be competent users of computers and the internet.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course will be taught through verbal explanation, demonstration using case-studies and group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may also be interested in:
Music business skills
Music business skills 2
Make a website: Wordpress for musicians
Writing and blogging skills for musicians
Develop your music further through one of our Music technology courses, or our wide range of instrumental, vocal and musicianship courses.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details