What is the course about?
Psyched! is an exciting new collaboration between City Lity and Birkbeck, University of London, Department of Psychological Sciences to explore human behaviour. On this series of lively interactive science evenings, find out how our ancient brains cope in the modern world.
October’s topic is ‘You make me sick’: the psychology of disgust.
Each Psyched! evening will be delivered by a trio of experts:
• Dr Gillian Forrester, reader in the Department of Psychological Sciences, Birkbeck, University of London. Special interests: behavioural neuroscience, evolutionary and developmental psychology
• Professor Catherine Loveday, Department of Psychology, University of Westiminster. Special interests: human memory, brain Injury, memory impairment, music
• Dr Simon Green: Department of Psychological Sciences, Birkbeck, University of London. Special interests: neuroscience, neuroscience of emotion, evolutionary psychology.
What will we cover?
• Learn about the evolution of the physical disgust reaction
• Join in the discussion and participate in fun activities that demonstrate your own disgust threshold (if you dare!) and what this means about you!
• Get knowledge and strategies for dealing with this ancient behavioural trait in the modern world and for understanding the different perspectives of those around you.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
All are very welcome and no prior knowledge is required.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
In a cabaret-style venue, three sparky psychologists will offer cutting-edge research and get you psyched about why humans make gaga sounds, feel disgust and lust after random strangers. Each evening offers discussion, experimentation (if you want) and practical advice.
Your ticket price includes a complimentary drink.
This collaboration is part of the Me, Human project: https://www.mehuman.io/psyched.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
HS207 Psyched! Language development - November 2019
HS208 Psyched! The evolutionary origin of lust and its place in the modern world - February 2020
HS209 Psyched! Sex differences - March 2020.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details