Psychology of shame
Time: 10:30 - 16:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: PP142
Duration: 2 sessions (over 2 weeks)
What is the course about?
These two training days will explore the Psychology of shame and its relationship to attachment theory, development, social interaction and relationships. It will identify the various faces of shame and how it manifests in both counsellor and client.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Shame in relation to mental health and personality disorders e.g. narcissism, antisocial personality disorder
• How your own shame can help and hinder the discharge of shame in clients
• The nature and complex dynamics of shame
• The impact and long term effects of shame
• How shame manifests in the therapy hour
• The role of shame in attacks on the self and others.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Have greater awareness of shame and its impact on attachment, social interaction, relationships, mental health, personality disorders, anger and rage.
Students will be able to identify defences against shame and how shame manifests in the therapeutic relationship in both client and counsellor, and how it can be manged effectively.
Students will also acquire a range of skills and therapeutic strategies and techniques that facilitate the release of shame to promote healing and build shame resilience.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for counsellors, other helping professionals and trainees, as well as those with an interest in the topic.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through experiential exercises, we will explore how our own shame can both help & hinder the discharge of shame in clients. We will familiarise ourselves with a range of therapeutic strategies & techniques to help facilitate the release of shame in clients and help promote healing and build resilience.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?