What is the course about?
This course will help prepare you for study or for work which requires good writing. You will focus on essay writing. The course will be task-based. This means, for instance, you will have an essay title and then learn how to research it – what to read, how to makes notes – and then turn these notes into a piece of writing which answers the question, provides arguments and opinions with evidence, and includes an effective introduction and conclusion. You will develop your grammar and vocabulary this way as well as improve your paragraphing and essay structure.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• how to write a good essay
• how to research an essay title – what to read, how to makes notes
• how to organise the notes and structure your writing to answer the question
• how to creates arguments and opinions with evidence
• how to write an effective introduction and conclusion
• paragraphing effectively
• how to read quickly and effectively
• using accurate grammar
• extending your vocabulary.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• write an effective essay and confident to apply for further study e.g. at college or university or to write as part of your job
• identify what makes an essay a good one
• research an essay title – identify what to read and makes notes
• organise notes and structure your writing to answer essay questions
• creates arguments and opinions with evidence
• link your ideas effectively
• write an effective introduction and conclusion
• paragraph accurately
• read quickly and effectively
• use a range of grammar including most verb tenses accurately
• use a range of sophisticated vocabulary.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for students at Level 1-Level 2 ie. good intermediate level (B2-C1). It is ideal for anyone who wants to study or do an IELTS course. You will need to do a pre-course assessment.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a task-based course with students encouraged to participate actively in class and become independent learners. You will need to do some work outside the classroom to get the most from this course. You will develop research skills through use of the internet and other sources.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs but you should bring a pen, paper and folder to class. You may also need to bring in a laptop if you have one. The college will be able to provide one if you do not have one.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
TThere are many courses you could do next. You can do a Level 1 or Level 2 general ESOL course with an exam. You can also do a number of courses without exams at the same time as this course or after it. These courses include:
ESOL: Develop your listening skills (level 1)
Grammar in Practice: Intermediate or Upper Intermediate
Matters of Opinion (level 1-2)
ESOL and singing: sing your way to better English (entry 3-level 2)
ESOL Pronunciation: Stage 1 (level 1-2)
English dialogue: speaking, listening, pronunciation, performance (level 1-2)
Read Well, Write Well (level 1-level 2)
Writing Skills in Practice: upper intermediate (level 1-2)
Communicating at work (level 1-2)
ESOL Communicating at work: meetings (level 1-2)
Communicating at work: ESOL skills for the office (level 1)
ESOL Communicating at work: presentations (Level 1-2)
ESOL Communicating at work: reports (level 1-2)
Develop your writing and language skills (level 1-level 2)
ESOL and Film (level 1-level 2)
ESOL and Making Podcasts (level 1-level 2)
Your tutor will advise you on the best course. We also have many digital skills and maths skill course. Contact email@example.com or 020 7492 2511 for more information.