What is the course about?
An introduction or re-introduction to playing recorder, in a friendly group setting. Develop your skill and confidence in
playing solo and ensemble music.
This course is designed as an introduction to Recorders Level 1: module 1 starting in September. However, if you have previous experience and are returning to recorder playing, you may be ready for Level 2. Your tutor will advise.
What will we cover?
• Basic technique of recorder playing: fingering, breathing and articulation
• Playing in unison with others, and playing in parts in a small ensemble
• A range of recorder repertoire in a variety of styles
• Music reading and basic music theory
• Transfer from descant to treble recorder, if appropriate.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• know the fingering for most of the notes of two different scales used on the recorder (descant and/or treble)
• play the recorder with some control of breath and articulation and good intonation
• play tunes on your own or with a group
• play a part in a simple ensemble piece
• recognise and comment on the different styles of recorder music
• understand the basics of music notation.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for beginners, or for those who played years ago and want to brush up their skills to get back into
recorder playing. You need to be able to listen to and follow instructions in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
• Tutor demonstration and explanation
• Practical work on your instrument and feedback from the tutor
• Group discussion and peer feedback.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your instrument(s), as well as a notebook, pencil and eraser. Music and worksheets will be provided by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course is designed to lead to Recorders level 1 in September. If you are at a higher level than complete beginner, it my be more suitable for you to take Recorder Level 2. Your tutor will advise.
You may also be interested in one of City Lit's many Musicianship or Music Appreciation courses.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details