What is the course about?
Further develop your recorder playing in a friendly group setting. Develop your skill and confidence in playing solo and ensemble pieces.
What will we cover?
- Basic techniques of recorder playing: fingering, breathing and articulation
- Playing in unison with others, and playing in parts in a small ensemble
- A range of recorder repertoire in a variety of styles
- Music reading and music theory.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Know the fingering for a larger number of notes on the recorder (descant and/or treble)
- Play the recorder with control of breath and articulation and good intonation
- Play tunes on your own or with a group
- Play a line in an ensemble piece of up to 3 parts
- Identify different styles and periods in recorder music
- Understand more complex music notation.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for those who have been learning recorder for at least a term, or those who have played before and want to brush up their skills to get back into recorder playing.
You need to be able to listen to and follow instructions in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Classes are taught through tutor explanation and demonstration, group playing and individual practice (please bring your own instrument). Sessions will also include class discussion, aural skills and theoretical study.
A regular practice routine is essential to make progress (ideally at least 20 minutes a session, 4 times per
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your instrument(s), as well as a notebook, pencil and eraser.
Please bring your own copy of Brian Bonsor, Enjoy the Recorder Book I (descant or treble) [approx. cost £6.50] Additional music will be supplied by the tutor.
Have you read our guide to local music shops and choosing instruments? Where to buy music and instruments This blog post lists some of our local music shops and gives specific advice on clarinets, pianos and more.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course leads to Recorders 1C
You may also be interested in general Musicianship classes and