Time: 10:00 - 16:30
Location: Kean Street Wellbeing Centre
This course has now finished
What is the course about?
An introduction to some basic theoretical and practical aspects of reflexology. You'll have the opportunity to practise massage with some reflexology techniques on the hands and/ or feet, in pairs, with guidance from your tutor. This workshop will enable you to experience the relaxing effect that this treatment can have; and provide a starting-point for using some of the methods with family and friends, or to progress to further study.
What will we cover?
- The benefits and contra-indications of reflexology
- Historical background
- Relationship between areas of the feet and hands and areas of the body
- Practical work in pairs: massage on feet, and/or hands.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Safely demonstrate the basic skills of foot/ hand massage and practically perform these skills on fellow students
- Improve receiver's ability to relax and relieve stress
- Gain awareness of at least two reflex areas on the hand or foot in relation to the body
- Recognise some contra-indications to reflexology
- Give a short treatment to a friend or family member.
- Recall at least three facts about Reflexology.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Introductory level - no previous knowledge required. You are required to read and write short sentences, follow verbal instructions and extract information from handouts.
If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed below, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake a bodywork course and bring a referral letter from your GP with enrolment form to the Health and Movement Studies Office. If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in a bodywork class/course.
- An untreated medical condition
- Spinal injuries
- A recent operation
- Severe skin disorders
- Severe mental illness
- On medication
- Cardiovascular disorders (high blood pressure, severe varicose veins, heart problems, thrombosis)
- Bone or joint disorders (Rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis)
- Pregnancy (or post natal)
- Endocrine disorders
Is there anything else we should know about your health before you enrol for a course? If there is, please let the Health and Lifestyle Studies team know.
If accepted onto a course, a student could be given alternative practical tasks and adjustments may be made where reasonable. However, a student could be asked to leave the course if a situation arose which could endanger the well being of that student, or another student.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Brief presentations/ talks by the tutor to introduce practical exercises
- Small group work and pair work
- Practical demonstrations
- Learners are encouraged to contribute to the session through discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to bring wet wipes, plasters, tissues, some writing materials and a folder for handouts. Towels are provided by the College. You do not need to buy books before this course: all relevant information will be provided on handouts, and a booklist will be given for further information.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Students can go on to accredited courses in Massage and Complementary Therapies or enjoy further studies in many of the alternative therapy classes, e.g. Aromatherapy, Shiatsu.
Oge is a body therapist and Healer. She has been a practising therapist for 16 years, treating clients with various massage therapies including holistic massage, sports and onsite massage, lymphatic drainage, Indian head massage, reflexology, and aromatherapy, in a variety of settings. She is also a Reiki Master, with particular interest in pet healing. Oge is currently tutor coordinator for the Health and Wellbeing department, as well as actively teaching and developing new courses . Her career in health began 20 years ago working within social care, specifically with children and adults with special needs After healing herself from a mystery illness, she understands how the body, mind and spirit truly work in harmony, and is passionate about bringing bodywork back to its healing roots, and improving wellbeing for everyone. Oge enjoys life
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.