What is the course about?
This is a time of challenge for many of us. This evidence-based course will teach you skills that are particularly useful when you’re experiencing any of the following: stress, worry, anxiety, low mood, self-doubt and some loss of life purpose and direction. Whilst the skills will help you in all areas of your life, there will also be some focus on issues specific to people who stammer. It is a psychological skills and behaviour training using the therapeutic model of acceptance and commitment therapy, a mindfulness-based approach.
What will we cover?
• Introduction to the three pillars model
• Development of mindfulness skills
• Identification of personal values (life directions)
• Stepping back from worrying thoughts
• Skills to help manage challenging emotions, such as anxiety and low mood
• Practical goal-setting strategies to help you move towards valued directions
• Application of skills in communication situations.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• • develop your personal resilience, enabling an alternative response to stressful situations,
• improve your ability to live in the present moment (rather than being excessively entangled in thoughts about the past or future),
• improve your focus and concentration
• reduce the impact of difficult thoughts and feelings on well-being, behaviour and performance;
• untangle from worry and rumination
• develop a different way of responding to change.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for people who stammer. To access the course you will need to have an adequate level of English to:
- Express your opinions and feelings
- Follow discussions and make relevant contributions
- Make use of handouts with some assistance if necessary.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course will be delivered on-line and whilst some of the time we’ll be in the whole group, there’ll also be small group work in breakout rooms. You’ll be given activities to work on between the sessions.
To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may choose to do another Stage 2 stammering therapy course, or one of our topic-based courses.
Speak to your tutor about further courses or contact email@example.com
See the course guide for term dates and further details.