What is the course about?
On this practical 3 day photography workshop you will learn how to use studio lighting, composition, and props to recreate the drama and atmosphere of painted masterpieces. As well as learning about framing, colour, shadows and a range of photographic techniques you will learn about directing a shoot and creating a strong narrative element within your image.
What will we cover?
- Simple studio lighting techniques
- Composition according to colour, texture and shadows
- Light quality and light direction in studio flash photography
- The still life, narrative, and symbols
- Art directing people using props
- Using manual exposure in studio flash.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Apply manual exposure settings in studio lighting
- Compose according to colour relationships, texture, and shadows
- Experiment with light quality and light direction using studio flash
- Explore narrative and symbolic characteristics of the still life
- Direct people and use props effectively.
- Use existing paintings as source to compose and art direct photographs.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an intermediate course . You will be expected to have knowledge of the manual exposure controls of the camera.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group activities and discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including demonstrations, practical exercises that are group-based, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in the Photography studio.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will be required to bring objects and props in order to create your compositions. You will be informed of what to bring prior to the class after enrolment.
Please bring your camera (if you have one) to the classes and you may wish to bring a notebook and pen. The City Lit has a range of Digital SLR cameras, tripods, speedlights (flash guns) and lenses which you are welcome to use during the hours of the class. It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note: PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The City lit has over seventy different practical and theoretical photography courses.
You can download a PDF of all the Photography courses on offer, view a calendar and see a virtual tour at: http://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/Photography, search on the web site or request a printed prospectus from the City Lit home page.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details