What is the course about?
Developing the skills you learnt in level 1: continuing to work towards singing with confidence and without strain; developing your solo performance and singing regularly as a group; learning about microphone technique, projection, control and flowing singing style; and expanding your repertoire.
Tutor: Karen Lane
Accompanist: Chris Lee.
What will we cover?
- backing vocals; lead vocals; singing to a piano accompaniment and/or a backing tape, or a cappella.
- rhythm and groove; phrasing; song arrangement; developing a good technique in order to sing out above a band or backing tracks.
- learning new repertoire.
- practice routines and voice maintenance.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- show that you have built a dynamic expressive voice;
- show that you have improved your performance;
- deal with stage fright (shallow breath);
- have developed a habit of working the voice on a regular basis;
- develop as a creative musician;
- have developed good breathing and vocal technique;
- perform a variety of singing exercises.
- perform a number of songs.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need to have completed 'Rock, pop and soul singing 1', or have equivalent experience and ability. You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Group warm-ups, singing in small groups and occasional solo singing in class. Listening and learning as audience and performer. Introducing vocal improvisation. Building confidence and exploring personal style. Daily practice should be established.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
A device to record in class would be of use. Please bring a folder for music sheets and other notes provided by the tutor. You may need to buy or acquire sheet music.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Rock,pop & soul singing 3 or progress to workshop level. Jazz singing. Advice on progression will come from your tutor.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details