What is the course about?
This 3rd module completes a year of singing study. Sing regularly together as a group, and develop your solo performance. New repertoire will be taught.
Tutor: Karen Lane
Accompanist: Chris Lee.
What will we cover?
- lead and backing vocals
- continue to strengthen your technique
- taking a song and making it your own
- song arrangement
- different vocal qualities
- performance skills
- communication with the accompanist.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- select, learn, interpret and deliver (perform) songs
- use constructive criticism to improve and vary your performance
- have enhanced musical awareness and communicate effectively with an accompanist
- establish a practice regime
- show improved expertise in matters of musicianship and style.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Ideally you will have completed rock, pop & soul singing 1 and 2. Otherwise, you need to show at audition that you have an established singing voice and experience of contemporary music styles. Any musicianship skills will be of advantage.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Vocal warm-up and technical exercises sung together in class. Listening and learning as performer or audience.
Following tutor demonstration. Preparing and performing solo material. Research into songs and vocal practice outside of class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
We recommend you record parts of the session, and you may need to purchase sheet music at some point. Otherwise, materials will be supplied by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Workshop, advanced level class. Performances in and out of City Lit. Jazz singing.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details