What is the course about?
Consolidate and maintain vocal technique and strategies. Take repertoire into performance and understand how to make a song your own. Be part of a platform for performance practice.
Tutor: Laura Zakian
Accomanist: Gabriel Keen.
What will we cover?
- Weekly singing exercises
- Ear training and harmonising.
- practice at improvising
- Microphone technique.
- how to choose suitable repertoire
- song arrangement
- Mainly solo performances by students (your choice of repertoire).
- Communication with other musicians
- Communication with your audience.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- sing with ease and confidence in public
- know the range and limitations of your voice, and suitable styles and keys for songs
- be familiar with a range of vocal exercises to maintain your vocal technique
- know how to transpose a chord chart
- increase your repertoire with songs provided by the tutor
- use a mic effectively
- improvise with ease.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This level of study is for singers with an established technique and substantial experience of singing in contemporary styles. You will be expected to perform your material from memory and be open to discussion and constructive criticism.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English, engage in class discussions and take notes in English and staff notation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Warm up routines sung as a group. Solo performances of contemporary songs, constructive criticism from your tutor and classmates, and discussion. Weekly singing workout for all students. Research into choice of songs and preparation of material outside of class is essential.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Own personal repertoire (sheet music, chord sheets and photocopies for the pianist). A device to record sessions, for practice purposes and review, is recommended.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
More advanced level study. A cappella singing.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details