What is the course about?
You will be introduced to the fundamentals of saxophone playing, note-reading and improvisation, and develop these skills as the course progresses.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Developing playing techniques: embouchure, breath control and tonguing
- Learning to play a selection of notes on the saxophone
- Studying relevant music theory and reading music for saxophone
- learning to listen and count time as you play
- Developing practice methods: long notes, scales, studies
- A range of repertoire in popular styles
- Simple improvisation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Demonstrate the ability to play and read pieces for the saxophone
- Hold a part within a group
- Demonstrate an increase in confidence and ability to improvise short phrases
- Understand essential musical concepts, terms and ideas.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is ideal for beginners, so no previous knowledge of saxophone playing is expected. Any musical experience will be of advantage, though.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
During this course you will play in unison and simple part work. You will be taught through demonstration by the tutor.
To make progress you will need to practise regularly between classes, ideally at least 20 minutes on at least 4 days a week.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to have your own instrument - alto or tenor saxophone - and reeds (strength 2). It is possible to learn on soprano sax but please note that this size is more difficult to play as a beginner.
You will need to purchase a sax book to be advised by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Sax 1B next term : ME610B
You may also be interested in one of our many Musicianship courses to support your practical learning.