What is the course about?
This course is for advanced acting students and those with accredited acting training or some professional experience who have not yet been able to breakthrough into screen acting who wish to develop confidence in front of the camera.
You will get an in-depth look at techniques ranging from character development, script analysis, film specific technical work and frame appropriate performance. Learn how to give the best performance and build your confidence on screen. Practise working with the camera and learn about the differences between theatre and television performances. Scenes will be worked, recorded and analysed, and you will be required to learn scripts.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
* Screen specific performance work.
* Script analysis and interpretation.
* Character development work and how that's implemented on set.
* Intrinsic differences between film and theatre performance techniques.
* Confidence on set.
* Speed line learning.
* Breaking into the business.
Please note that acting classes by their very nature can involve exercises and the exploration of material that some students may find challenging.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
* Professional level screen performance techniques.
* How to excel within the restrictions of film technicality.
* Delivering performances appropriate to frame size.
* Retaining correct emotional energy and technical ability for scenes that require many takes.
* Ability to learn and retain lines quickly and in difficult circumstances.
* Maintaining confidence and focus on set.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Previous experience required. You need to have completed Screen acting for beginners and improvers, or their equivalent elsewhere, have an Acting Degree or have completed an accredited acting course.
In order to get the most from the course you will be able to:
* Speak English fluently and clearly
* To read a script accurately
* Give and receive constructive feedback
* Take notes.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
In groups and pairs with scripts. Scenes will be worked, recorded and analysed with feedback.
As part of the course content, your tutor may record your image for initial and ongoing assessment purposes. You are entitled to decline to participate in the recording of your image.
Your tutor will advise if recordings may be made available via Google Classroom at the end of this course, subject to City Lit's privacy policies and current data regulations.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Scripts will be supplied.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
DRA028 Auditioning and self taping for TV and Film.