What is the course about?
You'll explore physical and non-physical techniques for self-defence. The course aims to increase your self-confidence and you will learn a range of skills to defend yourself, taught with sensitivity to the specific needs of those participating.
This course is taught by a female tutor.
What will we cover?
The course addresses how to feel and control the body, progressing on to maintaining this when threatened verbally or physically by an external force. Finally, it will address how to retaliate physically if necessary.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Demonstrate an awareness of your surroundings
- Perform a number of simple self-defence techniques based on good use of the body
- Demonstrate and explain effective wrist release practices
- Perform successful kicks and blows
- Use voice and breath to enhance your self-defence techniques
- Name the most effective areas of the body to use physically in self-defence
- Identify areas of weakness in the aggressor.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for women only. No experience is necessary to join. Students of any fitness levels, including those with disabilities, are very welcome. You will need to be able to read and write short sentences, follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness within a group.
PLEASE SEE THE PRE-EXERCISE CHECK LIST BELOW:
To assist us in providing a safe and healthy environment for you to exercise in please take a moment to consider the list below. If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake an exercise programme and bring a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor. If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in an exercise or movement class.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as Arthritis, Osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The class will be led by the tutor who demonstrates and participates in some of the practical work. The participants will be doing active work. Through talks, discussion and practise students will develop a comfortable and efficient use of the body. Practical information and discussions to demystify issues on self-defence will be held. The participants will be encouraged to share experiences if they wish to do so.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Students should wear comfortable clothing. Handouts will be provided during the course and the tutor will suggest further reading. The tutor will provide training supplements.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Students will be encouraged to incorporate what they learn on the course into their everyday lives. They are encouraged to further develop their physical skills in any activity that uses foot body co-ordination. Relaxation and assertiveness training is also recommended.