What is the course about?
This day offers a first introduction to shamanic counselling as a healing method in todays practice, its historical and cultural development and relationship to other therapeutic models.
This course is facilitated by a shamanic and integrative counsellor with many years of clinical practice who also teaches shamanic journeying and healing.
What will we cover?
• Shamanism – basic principles and concepts.
• Core shamanic practice of shamanism.
• Development and method of shamanic counselling
• Ordinary and non-ordinary states of consciousness in shamanism and other therapies.
• Advantages and limitations of shamanic counselling.
• Comparative links to other models in counselling and psychotherapy.
• The shamanic journey.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• List the basic principles and concepts of shamanism.
• List how shamanic counselling links to other forms of transpersonal therapy
• Outline the practice of shamanic counselling.
• Describe how the practice of shamanic counselling can be used in the context of professional heath practice, psychology, counselling and personal development.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
A basic knowledge of counselling and psychology along with an interest in transpersonal approaches to personal development. (This course is for learning and self-development, it is not a therapy course).You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is a balance of presented material and experiential learning, including tutor talk with discussion, questions and answers and clinical case material.
Hand outs and visual material will be used as well as experiential exercises.
There will be an opportunity to participate in a shamanic counselling journey (optional) you will be supported to find out more about the subject if you feel motivated to do so.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to bring a notepad and pen to take notes and write down your experiences.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
An introduction to the unconscious
An introduction to Psychosynthesis
NLP: The Healing Power of the Mind
Free Writing, Exploring connections with thoughts & feelings
Exploring your dreams.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details