What is the course about?
Use Sibelius software to notate and arrange musical pieces, and to produce printed scores of a professional quality. You will need access to Sibelius version 6 or higher (Mac or Windows) and ideally a MIDI keyboard. See our Music technology: equipment advice page for information.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- set up your score
- input notes using a MIDI and/or computer keyboard
- recording note input in real time
- graphic input of notes, symbols and text
- editing to correct mistakes
- score layout and formatting
- saving and exporting high quality score.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- input notes into Sibelius using a MIDI and/or computer keyboard
- input other musical notations, such as slurs, dynamics, articulations, lyrics etc.
- use the edit functions within the program to refine and/ or correct the notation
- choose and format score layouts in a variety of ways to suit different musical styles
- save and print out high quality scores and parts for instrumental and other performers.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for musicians, music teachers and students looking for an introduction to Sibelius in order to prepare and print scores and other notations, such as worksheets or extracts to insert into documents.
Good knowledge of conventional music notation and basic computer skills needed.
You will need to be able to follow written and verbal instructions in English, engage in class discussions and take notes in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Tutor demonstration and explanation, class discussion, followed by practical work.
Practical work on individual projects. You will present work in progress and receive feedback and support from your tutor and peers.
You will make best progress if you can work on your projects between sessions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a computer (Mac or Windows) running Sibelius version 6 or higher (Mac or Windows) and ideally a MIDI keyboard. Visit our Music technology: equipment advice page for more detailed information about hardware and software, so that you can ensure you have everything you need before you enrol.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Sibelius notation software: tips and tricks
Music theory, musicianship, songwriting and composition.