What is the course about?
Use Sibelius software to notate and arrange musical pieces, and to produce printed scores of a professional quality.
You will need access to Sibelius version 6 or above. Software runs on both Macs and PCs, and files are interchangeable between platforms, and can be saved in different versions of Sibelius as well as interchange formats to convert to other music programs.
What will we cover?
- Input notes using a MIDI and computer keyboard (if you have one)
- Graphic input of notes, symbols and text using the Sibelius on-screen toolkit
- Editing to correct mistakes
- Score layout and formatting
- Saving and exporting high quality scores.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Play musical notes and phrases into Sibelius using a MIDI keyboard (if you have one)
- Input notes and other musical items using the Sibelius on-screen tools
- Use the edit functions within the program to refine and/ or correct the notation
- Choose and format score layouts in a variety of ways to suit different musical styles
- Save and print out high quality scores for instrumental and other performers.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is designed for musicians and music teachers looking for an introduction to Sibelius in order to prepare and print scores and other notation.
Good knowledge of conventional music notation and basic computer skills are required for this course.
You will need to be able to follow written and verbal instructions in English, engage in class discussions and take notes in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Tutor presentation and explanation
Class discussion and questions
Practical work on individual projects: you will receive feedback and advice on these from your tutor throughout the course.
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Desktop / laptop / tablet computer, ideally with small MIDI keyboard that you can connect.
Sibelius software, version 6 or above. Sibelius is available for both Mac and PC operating systems. You can find information about free software and free trials on the Sibelius website [external website].
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may also be interested in:
- developing your Sibelius skills further in Sibelius notation software: tips and tricks
- Music theory, Music theory: counterpoint, or Songwriting courses
- learning how to work with audio files through courses in GarageBand, Music production with Logic, or Mixing and music production techniques
- explore your creative side in Sonic Arts, Max/MSP, Ableton Live, Arduino workshop, Hidden sounds: exploring contact microphones
Go to the Music Technology and digital audio production page to see the full range of courses. For advice email the music office or phone us on (020) 7492 2630.
The Music department also offers a wide range of instrumental, singing, ensemble and musicianship courses.