What is the course about?
This course will cover a range of solo songs from popular Broadway shows, in a variety of styles. If you have a particular song you have started learning, or would like to learn, please bring this to the course. You will also learn new songs chosen by the tutor. (Please email a copy of your own choice music, including BPM and instructions, to the music department for the accompanist ideally two weeks in advance).
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Major songs from popular shows.
- How to sing with feeling for the style of the song and understanding of its place in the show.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Perform a Broadway show tune (solo, and in a group) with confidence and in character.
- Sing along with harmony parts.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
From beginner to advanced, the course is open to anyone interested in singing and performing show songs. You need to be able to sing in tune and in time, to follow a conductor, and to follow instructions in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Each class will start with a physical and vocal warm up.
- You will learn through singing along with the tutor as well as solo, with feedback from the tutor.
- You will need to be able to do some practice between the sessions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please prepare up to 2 songs max. If you can find your own backing tracks these will be acceptable, otherwise please submit your choices along with sheet music and instructions for tempo, key, repeats etc. two weeks in advance to give the accompanists time to prepare your recordings. The tutor will supply music for any other songs. Please have a notebook and pencil plus a folder for your music.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
We offer choral singing throughout the year Choral singing for pleasure and Choir at lunchtime (multiple dates available, please check carefully before you book).
If you are interested in joining a solo singing class or vocal technique class please
href="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?Subject=Vocal courses enquiry" target="_top">contact the music office for advice or read our blog on Choosing a singing class at City Lit.