What is the course about?
To produce a strong, expressive, supported singing voice. Learn about the style of jazz singing, and the associated musicianship and protocols. You will gain confidence in performance as a soloist or within a group, and build range, tone, flexibility and control in order to flow with the singing voice.
What will we cover?
- An introduction to jazz repertoire.
- Explore the full range of your voice.
- understanding and expressing lyrics.
- Phrasing and time feel - rhythmic security.
- Studying arrangements and harmony within the songs.
- Microphone technique.
- Song interpretation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- enjoy an expanded vocal range, greater expertise and confidence
- understand the value of listening and singing as a way of life
- sing a group and solo, and organise your repertoire
- understand and use the vocal qualities appropriate to jazz
- develop your musicianship relative to the demands of the repertoire and jazz style.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need a basic vocal technique and understanding of music, a musical ear and good response to time, a desire to improvise, perform solo and work with a group of voices. You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Warm-ups, breathing exercises, sharing songs. We will cover basic skills in order to maintain strong songs in performance: choosing the song; discussion; stage fright; mic techniques; arrangement, and musicianship. Daily singing practice should be established.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The course tutor will supply music materials.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Sing jazz 2
At any level, Jazz vocal improvisation is a useful specialist course for those who wish to develop their creative skills further.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details