What is the course about?
To produce a good strong voice with confidence and without strain. To develop performing skills both solo and in a group. To work on technique - projection, range, flexibility, control and vocal qualities - and to learn repertoire.
Tutor: Karen Lane
Accompanist: Chris Lee.
What will we cover?
- warm-up techniques/breathing exercises to support and maintain the voice.
- working on songs individually and as a group.
- collaborating with an accompanist.
- using harmony, rhythm and expression.
- working with lyrics and how to express with good tone, range and performance.
- establishing a practice regime.
- begin to improvise.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- build a dynamic expressive voice
- understand how music works, counting, keys, form, etc.
- improve performance stamina, control, pitch and intonation
- deal with stage fright and gain confidence
- awake the creative musician within - explore improvisation and interpretation
- have developed good singing and breathing technique.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will need a basic knowledge of the musical areas covered in the course title, and the ability to pitch and project your voice. You are expected to have completed a beginner's singing course, and be ready to work towards solo singing. You must be able to sing in time and in tune.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English, engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Group warm-ups, singing in small groups and occasional solo singing in class. Listening and learning both as audience and performer. Responding to feedback. Attempting improvisation. Building expression through singing techniques and your understanding of the song.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
A device to record sessions for practice purpose will be of great advantage. You may need to purchase sheet music and/or download or buy backing tracks.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Sing rock, pop and soul 2
You may also be interested in Musicianship courses.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details