What is the course about?
Developing the skills you learnt in level 1: continue to work towards singing with confidence and without strain; develope your solo performance and sing regularly in a group; learn about microphone technique, voice projection, control and flowing singing style. Expand your repertoire.
What will we cover?
- backing vocals; lead vocals; singing to a piano accompaniment and/or a backing tape, or a cappella.
- rhythm and groove; phrasing; song arrangement; developing a good technique in order to sing out above a band or backing tracks.
- learning new repertoire.
- practice routines and voice maintenance.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- show that you have built a dynamic expressive voice;
- show that you have improved your performance;
- deal with stage fright (shallow breath);
- have developed a habit of working the voice on a regular basis;
- develop as a creative musician;
- have developed good breathing and vocal technique;
- perform a variety of singing exercises.
- perform a number of songs.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need to have completed Sing rock, pop and soul 1, or have equivalent experience and ability.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Group warm-ups, technical exercises, singing in a group and occasional solo singing in class. Listening and learning as audience and performer. Introducing vocal improvisation. Building confidence and exploring personal style. Daily singing practice should be established.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
A device to record in class would be of use. Please bring a folder for music sheets and other notes provided by the tutor. You may need to buy or acquire sheet music.
You may wish to support your learning through a focus on reading, writing and hearing music and musical patterns. For more details about musicianship and music theory please visit our blog: Musicianship and music theory at City lit which lists our full sequence of musicianship and music theory classes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Sing rock, pop and soul 3
You may also be interested in Musicianship courses.