What is the course about?
An online beginners singing course designed to give the student a basic knowledge of good vocal technique and the confidence to perform in a group setting. All are welcome including those with some experience who want to find out how to get the most out of their voice.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Classes will include a thorough vocal warm up exercising all areas of the voice
- Breathing techniques designed to help the voice and nerves
- Some music theory to take the mystery out of sheet music
- a range of repertoire to suit a variety of tastes.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Sing in tune with confidence
- Understand how the voice works and apply knowledge to your own voice
- Understand more about the music you hear
- Feel good about singing!
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable either for absolute beginners or for anyone who is not confident in their singing ability. However, you must be able to hear notes from the piano and voice and sing them back at the correct pitch. If you are unsure about your ability to do this, please email the Music Department for advice at firstname.lastname@example.org
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Classes will start with a gentle physical and vocal warm-up, and then progress to group singing along with the tutor: sometimes on the same part and sometimes in harmony. You will also have the opportunity to occasionally sing individually. Classes will be taught with some piano accompaniment. You will be asked to practise material given and to use the warm up to strengthen the voice. Classes will be taught on Zoom.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All resources will be provided via Google Classroom. Please join the Google Classroom before the first session.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may repeat this class as long as you wish; there will be different repertoire each term. You may wish to progress to other singing classes. Visit our blog on Choosing a singing class for advice.