What is the course about?
An online beginners singing course designed to give the student a basic knowledge of good vocal technique
and the confidence to perform in a group setting. All are welcome including those with some experience who
want to find out how to get the most out of their voice.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Classes will include a thorough vocal warm up exercising all areas of the voice
- Breathing techniques designed to help the voice and nerves
- Some music theory to take the mystery out of sheet music
- A range of repertoire to suit a variety of tastes.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Sing in tune as part of a group with confidence
- Understand how the voice works and apply knowledge to your own voice
- Understand more about the music you hear.
- Feel good about singing!
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable either for absolute beginners or for anyone who is not confident in their singing ability.
However, you must be able to hear notes from the piano and voice and sing them back at the correct pitch. If
you are unsure about your ability to do this, please email the Music Department for advice - email@example.com.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is an online course you will need a computer or tablet with a webcam, microphone and reliable internet
connection to take this class.
We use GOOGLE CLASSROOM to share messages, documents, audio and video files and for you to submit
any homework tasks.
We use ZOOM to meet for classes via webcam.
Your tutor will teach though a variety of techniques:
- tutor explanation and demonstration via webcam
- sheet music, audio files and accompaniments (posted in Google Classroom)
- worksheets (posted in Google Classroom)
- group singing and individual demonstration tasks
Sessions may also include work on aural skills and musicianship as applicable.
To make good progress, you will need to practise regularly and you may find it helpful to rehearse your part
(and memorise words) between lessons and study recordings of songs to help you learn them.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
It's helpful to have a folder to keep your music organised, and a pencil for marking your music.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may repeat this class as long as you wish; there will be different repertoire each term. You may wish to
progress to other singing classes. Visit our blog on Choosing a singing class for advice.