Time: 19:30 - 21:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now started
Course Code: MF322A
Duration: 11 sessions (over 11 weeks)
What is the course about?
Learn healthy vocal technique and listening skills. Gain confidence and 'know how' to sing solo in a supportive class environment. Develop a realistic understanding of the level of work and commitment needed in order to progress as a singer and performer. Enjoy making progress with your singing.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Exercises and techniques to help with vocal development
- Relationship between the voice and body e.g. posture and breath
- Guidance on choosing suitable repertoire
- How to manage your practice throughout the week
- recording your work and submitting for assessment
- interpretation of songs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Apply your knowledge to your singing activities
- Use body posture as an asset when you sing
- Sing the course repertoire rhythmically and in tune
- Perform songs and exercises in front of the class
- get accustomed to selecting a suitable key for a given song.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need sufficient confidence to sing solo to your class.
Some familiarity with music notation, e.g. you should have some idea of note values, time signatures, accidentals and general musical geography/song structure.
If you are new to City Lit singing classes, please take a moment to read our blog: Choosing a singing class at City lit which lists our full sequence of singing classes. You could also drop in to one of our advice sessions where we can hear you sing and help you choose the right course. Please bring a piece to sing with simple piano accompaniment.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Vocal exercises and learning popular songs, starting in the group context, progressing to solo singing
- There will be tutor demonstration, feedback and discussion arising from work in progress.
- You will be encouraged to listen to each other and give feedback in order to increase your awareness of vocal and performance techniques, and are encouraged to practise daily.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All resources will be available in the google classroom.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
A progression course will be scheduled for next term. Musicianship courses are ideally taken in conjunction with a singing / instrumental class and will help you learn faster.
Swiss-born Colette has been teaching singing for thirty years in all sorts of musical styles from rock and pop to jazz, from total beginners to advanced levels. She has taught at various colleges around London and Southend and has worked at City Lit since 1994, teaching a variety of singing courses. For the past six years she has also been teaching musical style singing to 6-18 year olds at a theatre arts school. Colette trained as a pianist from a young age and in her early twenties she studied various courses from jazz and pop singing, drama and studio recording at Goldsmiths College. This enabled her to build her own recording studio, where she still spends a lot of her time perfecting her songwriting. Being a performer, singer songwriter and musician playing piano and guitar gives her a unique outlook and connection with her students. She enjoys teaching and encourages her students to explore new territories and express themselves to get in touch with their inner selves. Her experience and background enables her to relate to her students, giving her a great advantage as a teacher.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.