What is the course about?
This online course is for beginners and those with just a little singing experience. Come and learn the basic techniques behind good and healthy singing, explore your musicianship and discover a wide selection of songs in a fun environment. Tutor: Trevor Alexander .
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- a vocal warm up to help you get the most out of your voice
- breathing exercises to help you sing and handle nerves!
- songs from multiple genres such as classical to folk, pop and musical theatre.
- group singing
- harmonising may also be introduced in some songs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- feel confident about singing in a small group, with and without support from the piano
- show an understanding of how the voice works at a rudimentary level
- demonstrate improved rhythmic awareness
- use good posture for singing
- display a basic understanding of efficient and effective breathing
- sing songs and rounds accurately in a group
- show some familiarity with music notation.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a complete beginners course but also suitable for near-beginners who wish to cover basic aspects of singing. However, you must be able to hear notes from the piano and voice and sing them back at the correct pitch. If you are unsure about your ability to do this, please attend one of our advice sessions.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
If you are new to City Lit singing classes, please take a moment to read our blog: Choosing a singing class at City lit which lists our full sequence of singing classes.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Sessions begin with a range of vocal warm ups after which most of the singing will be in groups. Musicianship exercises to develop aural awareness are included alongside songs in a range of styles. As this class is online you will be expected to occasionally sing on your own. You are encouraged to practise daily and may be given work to do at home.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a notebook, pen/pencil and a folder for keeping music/notes organised.
You may also bring a small recording device (Dictaphone) if you wish.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can repeat Singing for fun courses, these classes as often as you wish before moving to a different level. The songs are different each term and this will help you build up a good musical repertoire and grow your confidence.
After this you may wish to try ‘Singing 1’ which introduces some solo singing opportunities. You may also consider trying one of our choirs.
If you need help learning to read music please consider supplementing your singing studies with ‘Musicianship 1: listening and reading, pitch and rhythm’. These musicianship courses are ideally taken in conjunction with a singing / instrumental class and will help you learn much faster.