Singing online (mixed levels): taster
Time: 16:30 - 18:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: MF352B
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
This course is for students with some previous singing experience (either 1-2-1 or group classes). Discover how singing classes work online in this lively taster session, which provides a fun and safe environment to see how live, online classes could really benefit your singing.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- a vocal warm up to help you get the most out of your voice
- breathing exercises to help you sing and handle nerves!
- class activities to show you how an online singing class works
- an introduction to the range of long term classes the citylit offers.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- show an increased understanding of how the voice works at a rudimentary level
- demonstrate improved rhythmic awareness, through gentle physical movements
- feel more confident about joining an online singing class
- have a clearer idea about your level and suitable classes.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for singers with some previous experience.
You must be able to hear notes from the piano and voice and sing them back at the correct pitch.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is an online course you will need a computer or tablet with a webcam, microphone and reliable internet connection to take this class.
We use ZOOM to meet for classes via webcam.
Your tutor will teach though a variety of techniques:
- tutor explanation and demonstration via webcam
- sheet music, audio files and accompaniments will be provided
- group singing and individual demonstration tasks
- discussion arising from materials and exercises
- we will also cover aural skills and musicianship as applicable.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You may find it useful to have a notebook and pencil handy. All other materials for the course will be provided in advance via email.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Your tutor will give you more information about which class is the most suitable for you. For more information about our full complement of singing courses, please read our blog on Choosing a singing class.
If you need further advice, please email the music department – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Siobhan is a classically trained Soprano who has been teaching at the City Lit since 2006 and is currently the co-ordinator for Classical Music (practical). She has performed extensively during her career including several years singing with the A Cappella trio ‘The Madrigirls’, at the Thursford Christmas Spectacular and with Paul Daniel conducting the Dartington Festival Orchestra. Her operatic roles include Euridice (Orfeo ed Euridice), Suzanna (Marriage of Figaro), Ginevra (Ariodante), Frasquita (Carmen) and Venus (Orpheus in the Underworld) as well as Maria (West side story), Velma (Chicago) and Mabel (Pirates of Penzance) on the lighter side. She has appeared as a soloist in many Oratorios as well as numerous recitals, most recently of Spanish song exploring the relationship between Joaquin Rodrigo and his contemporaries. She has a Classics degree from King’s College London and a Diploma in Opera studies from Birkbeck University London and has trained with Sybil Michelow, Justin Lavender and Linda Hutchison. Her teaching expertise extends from Singing technique (including accent method) through to music theatre and advanced performance.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.