What is the course about?
We will cover various techniques to create different shapes relating to all aspects of interiors. Each session there will be a demonstration of a particular aspect of SketchUp Pro , projected onto a large screen so that all students will have simultaneous access to the information. This is followed by an exercise, allowing for some individual tutorial support. Periodically there will be forum sessions were we will look at each other’s work to discuss different aspects of the programme. Asking questions and commenting is encouraged at all times. Handouts relating to the course content are available. Safe studio practice, including setting up workstations, saving files, the safe use of equipment and clearing away equipment will be part of the session.
What will we cover?
- Enhancing your understanding of basic techniques
- Importing, scaling and colouring materials
- Importing and scaling dwg, pdf and image files for copying
- Importing images that correctly adjust to the perspective view
- Creating components
- Exporting to Layout and exploring options within it
- Printing plans and elevations/sections to scale
- Creating more complex shapes and features.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Enhance your understanding of basic techniques
- Import, scale and colour materials
- Import and scale dwg, pdf and image files for copying
- Import images that correctly adjust to the perspective view
- Create components
- Export successfully to Layout and explore options within it
- Print plans and elevations/sections to scale
- Create more complex shapes and features.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is not a beginners course. You will need a good basic understanding of SketchUp Pro and be confident in using the basic systems of a computer and be familiar with a mouse. (or have completed SketchUp Pro for beginners course). You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
We will work on Apple computers with software SketchUp Pro . You will be shown how to obtain free versions of this software for use at home on PC and Macintosh computers. The course consists of discussions and demonstrations and one-to-one personal projects.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You need to purchase a USB memory stick of 2GB to collect and keep your data safe. Other basic materials will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Develop your skills further with VF393 Vectorworks for beginners.
City Lit offer a range of courses in Interior Design, Vector Works, SketchUp Pro, Axonometric Drawing, model making, Photoshop and Illustrator to enhance your Interior Design practice.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details