Song writing workshop
Time: 19:00 - 21:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now finished
What is the course about?
Use creative techniques to structure memorable melodies and catchy lyrics. Collaborate with other musicians to inspire you to compose, and finish any incomplete songs. Beginners and experienced musicians can benefit from easy to follow techniques to add spice and interest to your chord patterns. Also learn to compose for your voice type and range.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Starting a song from scratch
- Completing half finished songs
- Adding simple chords to accompany your melody using basic keyboard theory
- study song structure and form
- How to compose a melody to fit existing chords
- Creating effective lyric rhythm and metre to enhance melodic impact
- Creating memorable lyrics, titles and hooks
- Listening to and analysing the work of singer-songwriters, bands and lyric writers in a number of genres (pop,
jazz, rock, folk) from the 1930’s to the current day.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Finish and structure your lyrics, melodies and chords into effective and original songs
- Create melodic and lyrical hooks
- Compose melodies to suit your voice
- Understand the basics of creating a harmonic accompaniment to your songs
- Listen to and analyse songs in a variety of styles.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for keen and experienced songwriters and musicians. Ideal for graduates of the song lyric writing courses.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English, engage in class discussions and take notes in
English. You will need to record your ideas on your phone or using music software such as Garageband.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The emphasis is on practical work in these online sessions : listening to and adding to your classmates songs and receiving constructive criticism from the tutor and your classmates. You will be asked to complete homework to show and play in class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Be ready to present and use any work in progress.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The next workshop when such is scheduled.
Polly is a multi-instrumentalist, singer and composer, musical director and conductor who has been an adult education tutor since 2009. She enjoys the challenge and exchange of ideas and energy that adult education provides-both as a tutor and as a student. Polly's work also includes live performances and session work in many genres and venues in London and the South East, e.g. playing cello with Clerkenwell String Quartet, piano for Associated Board exams, singing at weddings and parties, and playing in orchestras and ensembles. As a cellist she has appeared on BBC TV's Top of the Pop and on a number of albums. She has also played in lots of pop bands and, after attending a City Lit jazz piano course, she started playing jazz and blues piano too. Polly composes music for radio, for theatre productions and library music for BBC Radio 3, 4 and the World Service and for television around the world. Her study to PhD level at Goldsmiths College opened up the world of Dada and John Cage and conceptual and performance art. Consequently she has sung Dada masterpieces such as "Ursonata" as well as her own compositions at contemporary music festivals such as The Brighton Festival.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.