What is the course about?
This complete beginners' course will enable you to communicate in the language in everyday situations through the gradual introduction of new structures and vocabulary.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Topics: Personal identity, family, profession, where you live. Food shopping. Going to a café or restaurant, directions.
Grammar: present tense, positive, negative and interrogative forms - nouns, adjectives, personal pronouns, possessives, prepositions, articles (definite/ indefinite).
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- talk about yourself and ask people about themselves (nationality, job, family, where you live)
- buy food and ask for what you want (quantities, flavours, sizes, prices)
- order food in a café or restaurant
- talk about your favourite food
- give and understand directions
Please note that the above outcomes are flexible as the pace of the lessons will depend on the achievements of the group of students.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
For students who may have some knowledge of the language but who wish to start again from the beginning.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart, using the link at the top of this page. You can also find the chart at the start of the languages section in our course guide. You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and read course documents in English and be at ease with the use of number for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, etc).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Based on tutor's own material.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any Spanish beginners: module 2 in January.