What is the course about?
The Spanish club provides a relaxed and animated environment to practise the language. We will discuss literature, history and current affairs, the arts, etc. Ideas and suggestions from students are welcome.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Topics to include: society, the arts and key events of the Spanish Speaking World.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Improve your listening, reading and conversational skills.
- Further your knowledge of literature, history and current affairs, the arts, etc
- Increase your vocabulary and consolidate your grammar.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Stage 5. Students should have completed stage 4 or be at an advanced level. They should be fluent and have a solid grasp of grammatical structures and vocabulary.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide or at http://www.citylit.ac.uk/self-assess-your-level.
It is also essential that you have knowledge of more complex grammar terminology such as: conditional, indirect and direct pronouns, hypothetical sentences, subjunctive, subordinate clauses and more complex conjunctions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The class will be conducted in Spanish. The course is based on the communicative approach including
- use of authentic audio and audio-visual techniques
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- debates and discussions via pair and group work
- active students’ interaction
- vocabulary and grammar activities
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials provided by the tutor, but do bring a pen and paper to take additional notes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
LBS10 Spanish 5: revision course in summer and LS611 Spanish 6 in September.