Spanish Preparation for A-level
Time: 18:00 - 20:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now started
Course Code: LSY32
Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course, which takes place over 3 modules, will help you transition from GCSE to A Level. We will work on improving your intermediate grammar, acquiring more advanced grammar knowledge, developing your listening and speaking skills, and teaching you the vocabulary required by the various topics used across the exam units.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Los medios de comunicación: la televisión y las telenovelas: los medios de comunicación escritos y en internet; el
impacto en la sociedad y la política.
- Los festivales y las tradiciones: los festivales, las fiestas, las costumbres y las tradiciones.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- listen and respond to a variety of spoken Spanish-language sources, including authentic sources
- use the Spanish language accurately to express facts and ideas
- understand and apply the grammatical system and a range of structures.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an upper intermediate course and will be entirely taught in Spanish.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Students are expected to participate in the classroom activities and to do approximately 1-2 hour homework per week.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Textbook: Edexcel Spanish A Level by Hodder Education. ISBN 978-1471858314
Reading book: To be confirmed at the beginning of the course.
A good bilingual dictionary is essential (Oxford or Collins).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
LSY41 Spanish A-level in September. You may need to come for an interview, talk to your tutor at the end of the course.
Amaia is a Spanish teacher from the Basque country in Spain. She grew up in Mondragón and studied in San Sebastián and Bilbao where she completed a teaching degree at university. She has always been interested in teaching and, as well as her work in adult education, she has experience teaching at universities and companies. Amaia has Qualified Teacher Status in England and has taught Spanish at all levels. She has a keen interest in exploring those areas of the language that her students find difficult. She takes great pleasure in seeing how her students progress in the language, in their motivation and dedication, and in the dialogue that takes place among adults in the context of the classroom.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.