Spanish weekend: A gastronomic tour of Spain
Time: 11:00 - 13:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now finished
What is the course about?
This workshop will give you the opportunity to explore Spanish gastronomy, its origin and variety throughout the country.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Origin of the most important Spanish products and its history. The variety of products across the different regions of Spain. Ingredients and recipes of some of the most typical Spanish dishes.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- origin of the most typical Spanish products
- explore the different regions of Spain and their taste on food
- look into the main ingredients of some of the most international dishes
- explore food and traditional markets
- learn some basic food and drink vocabulary and expressions
- get cultural advice (e.g. eating habits and time).
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous knowledge required, suitable for complete beginners. The workshop will be conducted in Spanish and English when needed.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide or at http://www.citylit.ac.uk/self-assess-your-level.
You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and explanations, as well as read course documents, in English. You will need to be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, using the 24 hour clock, reading timetables).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Material provided by the teacher.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any beginners course in September but if you speak already some Spanish, please, call the Languages Department for advice: 020 7492 2644.
Maria Isalt has a BA in Economic Studies from Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona and a Postgraduate in Education from OU. She has been teaching general and business Spanish for more than twelve years. She has a special interest in dyslexia and also delivers courses for the DELE official exams of Instituto Cervantes.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.