What is the course about?
This course is about providing you with some key skills for speaking more confidently to groups and to give you the opportunity to practise speaking to groups. This course will be relevant to people wanting to develop their confidence speaking in a range of situations including presentations, meetings and interviews.
What will we cover?
It will cover the following:
- introductions - what is a Speaking circle - standards of support - guidelines for effective speaking - guidelines for effective listening - giving and receiving positive feedback - opportunities to speak in front of the group.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. Be more confident talking in front of groups
2. Be yourself when speaking to a group
3. Have more confidence speaking spontaneously
4. Give an impromptu talk with ease
5. Give and receive positive feedback.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for people who stammer and who've ideally done some kind of speech work. It may be you've done a course at City Lit or a different kind of course. This course can still be relevant to you, regardless of the type of speech work you've completed so far. To access the course you will need to have an adequate level of English to:
- Express your opinions and feelings
- Follow discussions and make relevant contributions
- Make use of handouts with some assistance if necessary
Before joining the class you will need to speak to one of the Speech Therapy team.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a highly practical course. You will learn about giving talks and presentations by direct experience of talking in front of a group in a positive non-judgemental environment. Handouts will be provided.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can do a Stage 1 evening course or one of our intensive courses if you haven't attended one previously. Alternatively you can do any of our Stage 2 courses including other topic-based workshops.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details