What is the course about?
In this improvers class we will explore character building in greater depth. Working on a single play text, you will use detailed script analysis to construct your character's back history, then deepen your understanding of the character's inner life through a range of improvisation exercises. You will then apply this character work to the in-depth rehearsal of a scene or scenes from the play.
What will we cover?
• Script analysis (objectives etc)
• Creating character through solo exercises, sustained improvisations, emotion memory, etc
• Scene rehearsal through improvisation
• Scene performance.
Please note that acting classes by their very nature can involve exercises and the exploration of material that some students may find challenging.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Read and analyse a script in order to rehearse a scene
• Use emotion & sense memory and script analysis to build a given character
• Improvise in character
• Perform a given scene confidently off book.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need to have completed a Stanislavski beginners class.
In order to get the most from the course you will be able to:
• Listen and respond to instructions and feedback.
• Communicate clearly in discussion and drama practice.
• Read and respond to a variety of text.
• Give and receive constructive feedback.
• Take notes.
• Work within groups and pairs safely.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
In pairs and groups. You will be expected to carry out homework tasks (such as preparing a character improvisation) and to learn lines for a given scene.
As part of the course content, your tutor may record your image for initial and ongoing assessment purposes. You are entitled to decline to participate in the recording of your image.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Comfortable clothing should be worn. You may be required to bring in relevant props/costume items as the course progresses. You will be encouraged to buy a copy of the chosen script for the term, but photocopies of individual scenes will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
After the completion of this course you can explore the work of other practitioners such as Meisner and Method Acting. General acting courses from improvers to advanced are also appropriate progressions.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to
Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details.