What is the course about?
This practical course introduces you to the basic tools and techniques for animating 3D character elements in Cinema4D lite. C4Dlite is a stripped down but very powerful version of the widely used Cinema 4D animation software and comes free as part of Adobe After Effects. On this course you will develop skills in 3D modelling and animation and explore the potential of this free software to create engaging animation with simple characters.
What will we cover?
- Creating and editing keyframed movements in 3D
- 3D modelling techniques to create a basic character
- Rigging your character for animation using simple controls and tools
- Animating a walk cycle
- Lip-sync animation
- Using simple techniques to link and drive elements of your character (eg blinks).
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- use the F-curve and track editor to create and edit keyframes
- create and edit a basic rig of characters using deformers and splines
- animate walks using different approaches
- create Lip-sync animation using different approaches
- understand the use of the Xpresso coding engine in C4Dlite to automate and link motions.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners/intermediate course. This is a fairly technical course. Previous experience with Adobe graphics software is essential. This is an ideal course for someone who has some knowledge of After Effects CC and wants to advance their skills.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, tutorials, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in Animation, Cartooning, Digital arts, Film, Graphics, Illustration, Photography and Web design.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The latest professional equipment and software are available for your use throughout the course. It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to.).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your digital 3D animation skills further in VG583 3D digital modelling and animation: an introduction. City Lit offer a range of courses in 2D and 3D Animation, Adobe Animate, Adobe After Effects, Character animation, editing, sound, illustration, cartooning, storyboarding and adobe Photoshop to enhance your animation practice.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details