What is the course about?
Be inspired by the work of a range of abstract artists then develop your own style working from observation, your imagination and other stimuli.
What will we cover?
- A variety of approaches to abstract painting that move from the representational to the abstract and where it can take you
- How to work with drawing, brushwork, colour, gesture, texture, rhythm, composition and more
- The theories that have inspired abstract art and how your ideas and interests can shape your work.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Identify the work and techniques used by a number of abstract artists
- Make paintings inspired by abstract approaches in a variety of media
- Paint with increased confidence
- Incorporate a more explorative, open-minded approach to your artistic practice.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Intermediate – you should have some drawing and painting experience and be aware of painting concepts such as tone and composition before doing the course. Come with an open mind and a willingness to try new techniques.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Presentations, demonstrations, practical work, individual and group tutoring, and group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials will be provided.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- Abstract painting, focus on colour and large-scale techniques
- Colour and abstract design for textiles and surface pattern
- Contemporary painting studio.