What is the course about?
Learn how to use the basic principals of garden design to create a simple plan for your elevated outside space. Recognise how to select suitable materials and plants for containers and roof spaces in challenging conditions, and apply your knowledge to your own designed plan.
** Please bring a printed selection of design ideas from magazines or the internet to your first class.
What will we cover?
- How to use the principles and styles of garden design in small spaces
- How to analysis the site and draw a simple scale plan
- How to research inspiration and create a mood board
- How to select paving materials for roof-tops
- How to choose appropriate plants for container planting
- Finding creative solutions for difficult environments.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Draw a simple plan to scale 1:50 with analysis annotations
- Create a mood board of your style for hard landscaping and planting
- Create a list of different materials and plants for your design
- Draw a basic planting combination of suitable plants
- Apply design techniques to create privacy or extend the view.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for beginners. If you have an existing garden design you will learn how to improve key aspects of your design including your layout and planting
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course will be a combination of practical workshops, lectures, informal group discussions and demonstrations taught in the classroom.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic drawing equipment including scale rulers will be provided. In addition students should bring an A4 pad of layout paper, scrapbook, pencil, eraser, and a couple of fine point black fibre tip pens. Please also bring a printed selection of ideas from magazines or the internet to your first class.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Develop your garden design skills further with VF506 Design your own garden: intensive.
City Lit offer a range of courses in Patio Design and Planting, Planting Design, Botanical Drawing and an array of other visual arts courses to enhance your creative and professional skills.