What is the course about?
Starting with an introduction to materials and techniques such as blending and overlaying you will then go on to make a series of studies exploring tone, colour and composition. You will draw inspiration from contemporary and historical artist’s approaches to still-life , helping you develop your own ideas and a more personal response to the subject. Having experimented with ideas and techniques you will be ready to make your final drawing.
What will we cover?
- A brief history including the properties and uses of chalk pastels
- Contemporary and historical artists using chalk pastels and their approaches
- Mark making and drawing techniques used to create different visual effects
- Colour mixing using a variety of techniques
- Composition building methods.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use a variety of mark making techniques
- Apply a colour system to create stronger drawings
- Build a composition using a variety of drawing approaches
- Select and explore suitable subject matter and supports for pastel projects
- Produce a still life pastel drawing from observation.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for all levels.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions which support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
ou will be taught through practical exercises, some demonstrations, brief individual tutoring and some group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All drawing materials are provided. If you have your own chalk pastels, pastel pencils or soft pastels please do bring them along. If you want to experiment with pastel papers you’re welcome to bring some with you.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
VH476 Mixed media drawing and collage
VH400 Start drawing, VH407 Drawing 1
VM501 Drawing into painting
VH743 Drawing: focus on tone
VH660 Draw, paint print.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details