What is the course about?
This course will increase your confidence in Swahili, consolidating and building upon previous knowledge and practising a wider variety of everyday situations.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The course will cover elementary and intermediate Swahili grammar and vocabulary. You will also deepen your understanding of relevant socio-cultural elements of the language. You will have the opportunity to develop both productive and receptive skills.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- express likes and dislikes
- talk about leisure activities
- describe a typical day
- talk about a journey or holiday
- use a wider variety of tenses
- use the noun classes at a basic level.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for near beginners – students should have completed Introduction to Swahili or have equivalent knowledge of the language.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Based on tutor's own material.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Swahili beginners: module 3.