What is the course about?
On this course you will continue to develop your grammar, vocabulary, and 4 key skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing).
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
You will learn vocabulary and basic Swedish structures covering: challenges, conflicts and social media, Swedish celebrations and traditions, consumer regulations and rights.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- describe and discuss important life events
- express your own opinions and referring to other people’s opinions
- gather information from factual texts and radio programs
- describe and discuss Swedish traditions and celebrations
- use vocabulary for describing consumer rights and regulations
- discuss situations of disputes and disagreements
- verbs: present perfect for future
-verbs: transitive and intransitive
- question words + som helst
- nouns in definite form with or without article
- slang and everyday speech.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need to have completed Swedish 4: module 1 or equivalent. Students should be able to hold a conversation about everyday situations to an intermediate standard, read everyday instructions and understand news reports in simple, everyday Swedish. They should also have a good knowledge of present, simple past and future tenses, as well as with the present perfect and pluperfect tenses.
You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and explanations, as well as read course documents in English. You will need to be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, using the 24 hour clock, reading timetables). It would also be helpful if you had some knowledge of basic grammar terminology such as: a verb, a noun and conjugation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through a combination of group and pair exercises as well as individual work. Students will be expected to spend 2 hours per week on their homework, which will often combine exercises from a text book with tasks relating to their personal interests and surroundings. Lessons are focused on speaking and understanding from listening but reading and writing will also be practiced. Lessons are social and it is important to be able to engage with others in a respectful way.
We will be using Google Classroom where all your materials will be uploaded after class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring the two books Rivstart B1+B2 (exercise book and textbook) to the first lesson. We will start (roughly) on chapter 12.
You can buy the books from, amazon, Grant and Cutler https://www.grantandcutler.com/book/453019
or directly from the publisher:
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Swedish 4: Module 3.