What is the course about?
This course is a continuation of the Swedish beginners course in term 1, building upon and expanding basic Swedish conversational skills as well as increasing knowledge of Swedish culture.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
You will learn vocabulary and basic Swedish structures covering: shopping, directions, buying / ordering food, leisure activities and family.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- make everyday purchases
- ask where things are and how much they cost
- order food in a restaurant or café
- discuss leisure activities and culture
- make simple plans
- describe family and family relations
- the use of tycker om/gillar att
- adjective forms
- verbs in simple past and future tenses
- auxiliary verbs + infinitive
- possessive pronouns
- The long and short sj-sound
- nouns in plural.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for near beginners – students should have completed Swedish:1 module 1 or have equivalent knowledge of the language.
You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and explanations, as well as read course documents in English. You will need to be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g using money, telling the time, using the 24 hour clock, reading timetables). It would also be helpful if you had some knowledge of basic grammar terminology such as: a verb, a noun and conjugation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring the two books Rivstart A1+A2 (exercise book and textbook) to the first lesson. We will start on chapter 4.
You can buy the books from, amazon, Grant and Cutler https://www.grantandcutler.com/book/453019
or directly from the publisher:
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Swedish Beginners: module 3.