Taster: The Tudor kings and queens
Time: 12:30 - 14:30
Television dramas, novels, plays, films…What exactly is it about the Tudor dynasty that captures our historical imagination? Join us for this taster session to explore the social, political and religious lives of this iconic royal family.
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: HBH70
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
This short session will introduce you to key themes in period 1485-1603. It will provide an overview of the key challenges faced by the Tudors, including ongoing issues of succession, a religious Reformation that seemed to shift in a different way with each Tudor monarch, and the challenges the Tudor monarchs faced, both at home in England from rebellious subjects and from their European enemies and rivals.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• The foundation of the Tudor Dynasty & the ongoing issue of succession (Henry VII-Elizabeth)
• The Reformation from Henry VIII – Elizabeth I
• English Rebellions
• European diplomacy, conspiracies & wars.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Explain the significance of the Tudor dynasty for English history.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a taster session and no prior knowledge of the topic is required.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught via an interactive lecture.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No other costs. Please bring a pen and notepad if you wish to make notes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
HBH16: ruling by right of conquest: Henry V11 in history.