What is the course about?
This is an experimental course suited to anyone interested in laser cutting and etching techniques using mixed materials. You will explore simple drawing tools in Adobe Illustrator software enabling you cut and etch different papers, fabrics and materials on our laser cutting machine. You will explore surface, manipulating materials, including bonding them, applying colour, transforming shape and experimenting with structure. On this course you will be mixing digital drawing with practical techniques for hand crafting textiles. This is ideal for textile designers, artists or students wanting to experiment with digital craft.
What will we cover?
- Introduction to Adobe Illustrator suitable for use for laser cutting and etching techniques
- Use Adobe Illustrator software like pencil tools to free make freehand vector drawings
- Gain an understanding in how the laser machine works for laser cutting and etching
- Importing images, creating simple all-over vector based patterns
- Experiment with different power levels to achieve, cutting and etched effects
- Experiment with the heat press using sublimation printing applying layering techniques
- Manipulate structures to create interesting surfaces using embroidery and stiffening techniques
- Exporting files to digital labs for profession cutting or etching.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Produce basic digital drawings from your own artwork and inspiration
- Produce fabric and paper samples relating to your ideas
- Gain an understanding of the laser cutting and etching processes seeing the machine in action
- Manipulate surfaces to create interesting structures adding embroidery or stitch
- Feel challenged to take artwork further in the future.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for absolute beginners. No previous experience necessary although if you are familiar with
Adobe Illustrator you can use the time to build on your basic knowledge. If you have textile experience you will be pushed to mix your experiences or techniques.
We will be working on iMacs laptops and having a basic understanding of this will be helpful. Suitable for textile designers or artists wanting to experiment with digital drawing and laser manipulation processes.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through visual and technical demonstrations and supporting handouts, samples and visual
inspiration, practical exercises, group tutorials and one to one support.
Weekly homework tasks are encouraged to practice on Adobe Illustrator to develop designs or artwork between classes although this is your choice and will be discussed with the tutor.
It will be a mixed studio up after techniques and demos are taught and learners may work at their own pace and own their projects.
Laser cutting can take time in the lab, so preparation and planning is key this will be discussed in the first session.
Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in Digital Arts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to arrive for all classes with:
- USB memory stick with at least 4GB of memory to keep your artwork/ samples away
- A4 folder for handouts, notes and design printouts.
- A selection of source images, these can be your drawings, photographs, paintings, fabric samples, designs and images but can also be textures and patterns that inspire you.
The more content you bring, the more opportunity you have to learn the process and develop ideas from your theme.
If you need to work from a theme the tutor can provide source inspiration for you.
The latest professional equipment and software are available for your use throughout the course.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
VW310 Illustrator for textile design II for continuing on learning vector drawing and repeat patterns.
VX447 Textiles : manipulation for more practical surface work
VX442 Textiles: digital surfaces.