What is the course about?
The course is designed to explore ideas of creating structure and surfaces using basic papers as your medium. These ideas could be applied to a range of different creative applications such as collage, book arts, textiles and sketchbooks.
What will we cover?
A range of techniques will be introduced enabling you to explore structure and surfaces. These will include the use of
- Folding, pleating, darting and basic origami to create form.
- Crushing and crumpling, piercing and slicing to create relief surfaces,
- Colouring, and layering to amplify, transform and enhance structures and surfaces.
There will be discussion about how to apply these techniques to personal interests.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Apply folding, pleating, darting and simple origami techniques to create form
- Use crumpling and crushing, piercing and slicing to create relief surfaces
- Apply colour to amplify structure and surface
- Produce a range of samples illustrating and combining techniques.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for beginners, as well as those who wish to build up their knowledge of techniques. and who have an interest in developing surfaces and structures applicable to areas of practice such as collage, book arts, textiles and sketchbook activity. No particular skills are needed, just an interest in paper, structure and surfaces.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through practical demonstrations both to the group and to individuals. Group discussions and feedback are encouraged. Handouts will accompany demonstrations.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Bring with you any ‘found’ papers such as paper bags, florist papers, and anything to suit personal choices such as hand-made or quality papers. Basic papers will be provided. If you have a bone folder bring it along but it is not essential.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
VX461 Waxed surfaces
VX157 Textiles : monoprinting and hand stitch
VX222 Illustrated stitch : a masterclass with Rosie James.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details