What is the course about?
The course is designed to explore ideas of creating structure and surfaces using basic papers as your medium.
What will we cover?
A range of techniques will be introduced enabling you to explore structure and surfaces. These will include the use of
• folding and pleating and darting and basic origami to create form.
• Crushing and crumpling, piercing and slicing to create relief surfaces,
• Colouring, layering and laminating to amplify, transform and enhance structures and surfaces.
There will be discussion about how to apply these techniques to personal interests.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Apply folding, pleating, darting and simple origami techniques to create form
• Use crumpling and crushing, piercing and slicing to create relief surfaces
• Apply colour to amplify structure and surface
• Use lamination to layer
• Produce a range of samples illustrating and combining techniques.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for beginners, as well as those who wish to build up their knowledge of techniques. and who have an interest in developing surfaces and structures applicable to areas of practice such as collage, book arts, textiles and sketchbook activity. No particular skills are needed, just an interest in paper, structure and surfaces.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through practical demonstrations both to the group and to individuals. Group discussions and feedback are encouraged. Handouts will accompany demonstrations.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Bring with you any ‘found’ papers such as paper bags, florist papers, envelopes, and anything to suit personal choices such as light weight hand-made or quality papers. Basic papers will be provided. If you have a bone folder bring it along but it is not essential.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
VX461 Waxed surfaces
VX157 Textiles : monoprinting and hand stitch
VX222 Illustrated stitch : a masterclass with Rosie James.