What is the course about?
Explore key biblical passages which inform some of the big moral and theological questions and learn principles in biblical interpretation for addressing these questions.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will learn about key principles in biblical interpretation and how they can be applied to biblical passages relating to four key issues:
(1) Creation – where did we come from?
(2) The afterlife – Heaven and Hell.
(3) Sex – focusing on same-sex relationships
(4) Gender – equality between women and men.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• identify and offer an interpretation of key biblical passages relating to creation, the afterlife, sex and gender
• explain how they can lead to different answers on each of these questions
• understand the relevance and implications of different interpretations for contemporary issues.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course assumes a very basic knowledge of the Bible but is otherwise suitable for those with little or no knowledge of the principles of biblical interpretation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
There will be a combination of individual and group activities, discussion and teacher explanation. This will include the use of different media.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs.
You may find it helpful to have a Bible with you.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may be interested in HRS42 - Jesus: what does the evidence say?