What is the course about?
This course examines the history of the City of London, by looking at its architecture and famous citizens.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• the East of the City
• North of Fleet Street
• Blackfriars area
• Barbican area
• Broadgate area
• the Financial City
• North of Moorgate
• Transport in the City
• War in the City.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Outline the history of the City of London from the time of the Great Fire to today's financial capital
- Identify the major monuments, landmarks and important buildings visited in the City, and be able to describe their functions
- Become sufficiently familiar with the City to be able to take your friends and relations on a tour.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for anyone who is interested in London history. The second term is a continuation of the first, but new students are welcome.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Other courses in the City Lit's London Walks and History programmes. Details can be found on the City Lit website .